Your Guide To Hemp Benefits
Tracing to its roots, Hemp or Cannabis Sativa arose in Central Asia thousands of years ago. Legend says it’s one of the oldest cultivated plants. Cannabis has multifaceted benefits with its application in nutrition, therapeutics, textile, religious traditions – Mystical enough! The Ayurvedic science was not untouched by the enigma of Cannabis and can be retraced back to Atharva Veda. Vedas rightfully describe Cannabis as a source of happiness, a joy provider, and a liberator. With numerous advantages, it was the mainstay of Ayurveda and was often referred to as penicillin of Ayurvedic medicine! The advent of legalization norms for Cannabis has channeled soaring research on it and we have just seen the tip of the iceberg of this mystical plant’s applications.
What is the Endocannabinoid system?
The Endocannabinoid system (ECS) is one of the biologic regulatory systems which is responsible for creating and sustaining balance in our body. The ECS is responsible for:
- Regulating mood
- Immune response
ECS keeps the body balance or scientifically it maintains the homeostasis by monitoring endocannabinoids. Disturbances to physiological equilibrium, if uncorrected, can lead to impaired health, with symptoms that range from headaches to more serious diseases like arthritis, epilepsy, stroke, obesity, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, and glaucoma. Maintenance of homeostasis is directly proportional to the individual’s state of health.
The two primary cannabinoid receptors in our body CB1 and CB2, are found predominantly in the brain and nervous system, as well as in peripheral organs and tissues. Our body produces two endocannabinoids Anandamide (derived from the Sanskrit word “Ananda” or bliss) and 2-AG (2-arachidonoylglycerol) which bind to the CB1 and CB2 receptors and control various physiological functions of our body. The key to optimal health is the balanced endocannabinoid system which keeps the body at homeostasis. The urban modernized lifestyle imbalances the ECS system and makes its bodily functions vulnerable. Daily life ailments of chronic pain, anxiety, depression, sleep issues, and insomnia, inflammation throughout the body are linked to the declining levels of endocannabinoids.
How cannabis affects your body?
The cannabis plant contains hundreds of phytocannabinoids among which CBD (Cannabidiol) and THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) are the most abundant. THC is psychoactive in nature and is responsible for the high associated with cannabis, while CBD and most other cannabinoids are non-psychoactive. CBD plays a larger role in the ECS by modifying how the CB1 and CB2 receptors bind to different cannabinoids. When we have an imbalance in the ECS, supplementing our body with these phytocannabinoids can help our body regain the balance. Consumption of phytocannabinoids like CBD has proven to help with the below health conditions.
CBD- A boon for your health: (Suggestion: Use symbols/graphic material as an addition)
- Reduces stress and anxiety – Say yes to mental peace! CBD has also been proven to help with a social anxiety disorder (SAD), general anxiety disorder (GAD), and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Reduces inflammation and pain- Bye bye pain! Be it sore muscles from a workout or chronic pain like arthritis, cannabis has been proven to be very effective in reducing pain and inflammation.
- Regulates metabolism and appetite- Eat well, stay fit! Junk food and unhealthy diet disrupt the balance maintained by our ECS. Cannabis helps the body regain this balance and thus helps in regulating metabolism and appetite.
- Enhances Sleep – Your beauty sleep is just a step away! Sleeping disorders are common these days. Constant electronic device engagement combined with stress hinders sound sleep and impels disturbed sleep. CBD aids users in attaining uninterrupted sleep.
- Helps the body regain homeostasis- Balanced health awaits you! The contribution of ECS in homeostasis is undebatable and CBD supplements the activity resulting in better health.
Although CBD has so many proven benefits, new research has shown that CBD is more effective when combined with other cannabinoids like THC, CBG, etc. and natural terpenes found in the cannabis plant. This effect is known as the entourage effect which states that when all cannabis compounds are taken together, they work much better than when taken alone. This is why full-spectrum or broad-spectrum CBD oil is much more beneficial than pure CBD oil.
The way cannabis affects a person depends on the condition of their endocannabinoid system, the dosage they use, and also the cannabinoids they consume. Each person has a unique imbalance in their ECS therefore it is recommended to experiment with the dosage starting from small and increasing the dose as required.